Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

my parents ****ing made me

Hello, gracious forum members,

After my last doctor visit, my parents said I needed to lose weight. They want me to take after school gym and diet. But they don't know what they're talking about. Here's the deal: I think that I weigh a lot, but I believe that it's a lot of muscle. But my parents said they didnt think that was all, so they told me to get advice from experts. So here i am. I posted a picture (i'm 2nd from right). Tell me if I need a diet. I'm done with this.

Re: my parents ****ing made me

Yeah you need it...

If you think you have a lot of muscle go to a gym and they can see your muscle levels and all of that other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by consumed View Post
    Yeah you need it...

If you think you have a lot of muscle go to a gym and they can see your muscle levels and all of that other stuff...
    Agreed. You can go to a gym and they will let you know what percentage of your body weight is muscle and how much is fat. Then you'll know if you need to get on a diet or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guy on a Diet Graduate Poster

I'm curious to know your height and weight to get a BMI and maybe a percentile for your age. But ballpark, I'd say you're 15-20 lbs of fat overweight, but you're certainly not "obese", at least by the non-medical standard. All muscle, with a six-pack and defined musculature but very little fat, I'd say you should be no higher than 203. I knew a model with those statistics, and to look at him, you'd think he weighed no more than about 165, but it was the muscle weight.

Of course, you're gonna be bigger than your peers, because it's normal for most teen guys to be in the 110-140 range, so that's why there appears to be a bigger disparity. Add 20 years to your age, and you're pretty darn normal, but I'd still say 15-20 lbs of fat, but that's seriously nothing and will go quickly with enough dedication.

Thing is: Do it for you, no one else, and if you enjoy being your current size, with a little extra, be strong and stick up for it. The country is in bit of size fascism right now due to size, but if you do want to lose for you, you can do it. It's doable, good luck.
    I'm a guy who's lost over 100 lbs, and gained it back, and lost it again, and still going at it.

Uh..... you're a little off in your estimates, not sure why. I'm over 260 right now but like i said, thats muscle, right? I dont have a six-pack either, who has that??? ive got muscle though

Senior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by RandyH View Post
    Uh..... you're a little off in your estimates, not sure why. I'm over 260 right now but like i said, thats muscle, right? I dont have a six-pack either, who has that??? ive got muscle though
    Sorry to say but it's not muscle. Gaining muscle is a very slow and difficult process, a person that lifts weights 3+ times a week and does everything right would be lucky to gain 10 pounds of muscle in a year without steroid use. And, being muscular means having a low body fat % in addition to trained muscles from weightlifting, because body fat obscures muscle definition. To answer the question, to have 6 pack abs you simply have to cut body fat down low enough that they become visible, which is usually ~12% or less.

Anyway, as someone who dabbles in bodybuilding i'll just tell you straight out its not muscle. I can say that with certainty since I looked similar to you at your age, you're carrying fat in your midsection, legs and chest probably in the realm of 60-80 pounds worth. I'm not sure of your height but to get to a lean state you'd probably have to cut down to 170's or less.

Trail Junkie Doctorate Poster MichaelB's Avatar

I'd agree. It's not muscle. I can tell that you're carrying a lot of extra weight just looking at your face.

You may be able to make things move in the gym because you have more mass, but the majority of your bulk is not muscle.

And unless you're 6'7" or something even higher, 260 is considered obese on the BMI scale. I know because I'm 6'4" and anything above 246 pounds is "obese".

FWIW - Be glad that your parents care about you. Plenty of people let their kids eat themselves into Type-2 diabetes. Make use of their suggestion and take the time to work on your diet and exercise. You're young enough and have a metabolism that'll give you quick results if you just put some time and effort into it.

But don't delude yourself. You CAN'T exercise your way out of an excessive intake. It's far too easy to overeat and impossible to burn enough calories to even it out.

You will NOT get back to a normal weight without cutting back on your intake.

Rue

I agree that you're overweight...and I also think it's wonderful that your parents care (so many don't).

But at your age, if you keep active and go to the gym like you're doing now...you can 'fix' the issue just by cutting back on the junk food you eat (and the portions). That will probably do it with minimum pain!
    I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.

Alexander the Great

Why is everyone so obsessed that i have to diet??!! i am NOTTT ****ing dieting for such a little problem

Rue

You don't have to diet. No one can make you diet.

If you're happy with yourself the way you are - fine. Being happy is something most people struggle with.

But don't think you're not overweight, and don't think that being overweight is healthy or that's it's a little problem. No point in having your head buried in the sand either.

And remember - people care about you - or they wouldn't be saying anything at all.
    I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.

Alexander the Great

it IS a little problem!!!

Randy - you asked and got honest answers. It's up to you what you do with it.

To answer your question again:
    I work with a first division sports team (am. football). I can tell it's mainly fat, not muscle.

Glad you got the parents you got, who care. Someday you'll know to appreciate that. Maybe it's just not the time now.

Take good care.
    Let choice whisper in your ear and love murmur in your heart.
    Be ready. Here comes life.

Guy on a Diet Graduate Poster

Quote Originally Posted by RandyH View Post
    Why is everyone so obsessed that i have to diet??!! i am NOTTT ****ing dieting for such a little problem
    What you do is up to you. I personally agree with you, that our world is a bit too fascist happy these days with other people interfering in others' business.

I dunno if you were talking to me earlier about getting the facts in, but I'd need to know your height and weight to get an accurate BMI. But given the info provided, 260s, I'd say to be at a normal weight with the muscle you have, you'd have to lose about 60 lbs, but honestly you don't look that heavy.

It is entirely doable. But if you choose to do it, it has to be for YOU, not your parents or society or a girl or anything else. That having been said, your metabolism is gonna dive after you leave high school, and you become slightly less active. 260 at your age can easily become 360 or 460 by the time you hit your mid-20s. Believe me, I KNOW, I was 448 at my highest weight. Once you start to edge toward 300, it's a slippery slope to where a 100 lb gain, comes on like 20 used to! NOW is the time to do it before you get to 300 or more.

Despite what appears to be a dodgy way of handling it, I believe your parents have your best interests in mind, but instead of taking their word for it. Try hanging around morbidly obese people or observing them, it's not a place you want to go, and very easily to hit around that age. It happened to me. Do it for YOU and your health while you are young and not in your 30s and 40s. You have your entire life ahead of you.
    I'm a guy who's lost over 100 lbs, and gained it back, and lost it again, and still going at it.

Ditto that.

Your parents are doing you a favor by nipping this in the bud and pointing you toward better habits earlier in life rather than letting you pack on another hundred pounds before telling you they're concerned.

...uh yeah... so heres the deal. i told my parents what Thin Desire said bout me not looking heavy and not needing to diet. they said the pic i put on was only one angle. so they said if u saw these here and still said i dont need one, i dont have to go on one. and they made me get one of myself sitting down so i just had a bud get one. its really ****ing awkward. so yeah. i think i look fine, so yeah

Last edited by RandyH; 11-30-11 at 09:51 PM.

Girlfriend in the last pic is a hottie. Nice!

FWIW - I was a big dude in high school, active, played sports, but even then I was 215 lbs and 6'4" tall. I wasn't as active in college and ate poor quality food that they served in the cafeterias (ate a packed lunch in high school) and packed on the pounds up to 250 in my Freshman year, 270 in my Sophomore year, and 285+ in my Junior year. I think I may have peaked past 300 before I graduated.

You look about the same size I was last year. I knew I was fat though and didn't claim it was all muscle.

Not saying that you don't as I still have quite a bit of muscle but it's covered in fat.

What I think you should do is low weight high rep weights, some cardio and I always find a sport you enjoy will be the most important thing.

If you don't start know you could find yourself 50-60 pound heavier y next year easy..... Because I did too.

ughhhhhhh no ones answering my question... and my parents said i should put this one on too

I thought your question was whether you'd need to lose weight or not? This was answered several times. If I got that wrong could you please ask that question again?
    Let choice whisper in your ear and love murmur in your heart.
    Be ready. Here comes life.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast